HELPAID provides online platform which helps buyers & sellers to interact with each other. However, it is always a good idea to take some precaution before conducting any transaction. Below are several safety guidelines you may use, but we also encourage you to use your own instincts when it comes to internet safety.
HELPAID does not offer any kind of buyer protection.
HELPAID is not involved in buying or selling activities nor does it act as a middleman. Just like any newspaper classified ads, all the ads are posted by users for information purpose. These users are solely responsible for their ad content and their acts, without any liability on our side.
Avoide fraud & scams.
Don’t assume without confirmation that ad contents and picture displayed are true and accurate. Ask questions to ad poster for more details if you have any doubt. Make yourself aware of common scams and fraudulent practices.
How to recognize scams
Most scam attempts involve one or more of the following:
- Email or text from someone that is not local to your area.
- Vague initial inquiry, e.g. asking about "the item." Poor grammar/spelling.
- Western Union, Money Gram, cashier check, money order, paypal, shipping, escrow service, or a "guarantee."
- Inability or refusal to meet face-to-face to complete the transaction.
Be suspicious of
- Sellers who have provided incomplete address, do not have a verified mobile number, has mentioned phone numbers on ad description only.
- Sellers who demand wired payments via Western Union or Moneygram.
- Distant sellers asking for partial payment upfront, after which they will ship goods.
- Ads demanding you to make advance payment.
- Ads promising large sum of money, lottery/get rich scheme, too good to be true opportunities (ad related to foreign employment, visa & migration, high return on investments, etc).
- Ads trying to sell stolen goods at low prices. When in doubt, ask the owner to provide documents which shows proof of purchase (like bill, warranty card).
- Ads trying to sell cheap, fake and imitation products as original.
Meet in-person and at a public place.
While buying or selling through Helpaid, it is most likely that you will be meeting a stranger. It is advisable to learn as much as you can about the person whom you are meeting or trading with. Ask the person about his workplace, profession, etc. If in doubt, ask the person to show his identification document like license/citizenship.
- For your personal safety, always meet buyer/seller in public places (restaurant, office, shops, etc) where other people are present.
- Always carry a cell phone with you. If possible take a friend along. Do inform someone from your family or friend about the person you are meeting and where you are going.
- Try not to arrange meeting at home or isolated places. If required, make sure you are not alone. If you feel something suspicious, stop immediately.
Inspect the product in detail.
We recommend you to physically inspect the product before making payment. Take your time to check product thoroughly, avoid being rushed in by seller. If you do not have required expertise, ask advice from a professional.
Be especially careful when buying/selling high value items.
If you are looking to buy something expensive, we recommend that you first meet the seller, before making payment, to check the product.
Whom do you notify about fraud or scam attempts?